Re: [NTLK] Java 'n stuff

From: R Pickett (emerson_at_hayseed.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 02:35:39 EST

On Tue, 2001-11-06 at 23:19, SlashDevNull wrote:
> Java has become relatively big. But most of the public does not
> understand how pervasive Java is or really what is used for.

Totally. But 'most of the public' thinks that all of software
development has to do with things they can buy online and at CompUSA for
$49.95. Most folks have no idea that this is a tiny tiny tiny sliver of
the software development that goes on, so since there's no Java end-user
wordprocessor apps, it looks to them like Java is all about making
things bounce and beep in their browsers.

> But I think C/C++/C# is a language for masochists and Java is only
> marginally better. I code Delphi and consider it more powerful and easier
> to learn/use than any of the 'C' languages. And leaps and bounds above VB
> and Powerbuilder. But I digress.

Yah, but Delphi and VB are Windows languages (dunno a thing about
Powerbuilder). Which is fine when you're writing for just the one
platform. C/C++ can, at the least, be used for just about every
platform in creation. They may be exercises in masochism, but you put
together a clean C chunk of code, and, as we saw with zlib this week, it
can be ported to everything from Cray to Palm.

Depends on what you're writing. Making front-end user applications for
Windows? Delphi or VB. Making back-end libraries for other apps to
use? C or C++. Needing something that's portable and garbage-collected
where performance is secondary? Java. And so forth.

Like I mentioned about OSes -- Java sucks. C sucks. Basic sucks.
NewtonScript sucks. And so on. All for different reasons.

--
R Pickett           The people that once bestowed commands, consulships,
Hayseed Networks    legions, and all else, now meddles no more and longs