Re: [NTLK] Java 'n stuff

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 15:11:07 EST

AHHHHH! I can't take anymore!!

First.. Java does NOT suck. Four years ago I knew when I first saw it that
it was going to be huge. I invested very heavily and learning the
technology. Today I make a living writing Java applications for the Energy
industry...

Second.. Java CAN be used for end-user applications. Corel failed in this
effort because they were trying to do that with Java 1.0 and it just wasn't
possible at that point. Also, the people at Corel are dopes who can't
program their way out of a paper bag. There's currently a high-end
accounting application that's 100% java (it's at http://www.appgen.com/
iirc). And more come out all the time.

The biggest problem I see with Java is that the VB "programmers" out their
think they know object-oriented programming just because they use VB. They
go take a 3-week "down your throat" Java course and then decide to go code
in VB... Now we have a bunch of people out their "programming" in Java and
writing all kinds of bloated code and programming in the bad habits they
picked up from using VB.

Write now game houses are starting to Java with Java3D to write games that
are just as good as many of the natively written games out there and, out
of the box, they run on Windows *and* Linux.

Java's still growing... But remember what happened to VB in the 10 years
that it's been around.. Java's *already there* after only 4 years. Just
think of where it will be in 6 more years... :-)

--
David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net