Re: [NTLK] What amazes me about Newtons

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 08:22:09 EST

Subject: Re: [NTLK] What amazes me about Newtons
From: rkadowns_at_mac.com

> This is that kind of negative amaze. I was looking at all the shareware
> and commercial software that enhances the Newt. It seems to me that you

Right - ENHANCE. Just to make a @&(%#$%^# Palm browse the Web, e-mail,
fax - even print for heaven's sake - you need 3rd party software.

What's really disturbing to me is the way most of it works on aPalm. Not
all apps
(and I mean those that should be able to print or fax, not something
like PortaPam)
can work with all printing or faxing programs.

Also the way some of the enhancements work is counter-Newtonish. For
example,
MoreInfo and AffiliatePlus on the Newton add additional features to the
Names app,
patching it seamlessly so you only need to continue using the Names app.
A program like
PictureNames lets you have a business card with a person's picture. All
of these working
together are still accessible through the Names app.

On the Palm, a name app enhancement is really a name app REPLACEMENT. So if
you like the features of SuperNames for the Palm, it's a separate Names
app you have
to open. Likewise EyeContact that lets you have a picture with a
person's name - it
doesn't patch the names app, it's separate. You can't have SuperNames
show a person's
photo at all.

Mark Rollins
mark_at_mrollins.com