[NTLK] Miserableness

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 09:46:56 EST

Oh, woe.

So I've brainwiped my 2000U and "Prefs-erased" my 20MB card. All
set for a last attempt at data restoration, and lo and behold, I
can't for the life of me get my Newton to connect to NCU over
serial.

I know that I'm letting the desperation get to me, as I need info
on the Newt for a trip I'm taking today, and as there's _no_ human
readable text in either of the backup files ( except for some
labels I'd assume ), and... and... Argh!

*deep breath - deep breath*

Ahh. Okay. I fear that my Interconnect port might be suffering from
collapse. It's the only thing I can think of. It gets quite wobbly
when connected to the serial cable, though it does still have that
"click" as it connects.

I've made sure that all connections are tight between the
Interconnect dongle and serial cable, between serial cable and USB
adapter, and between USB adapter and iBook. I've made sure that
Classic ( in 10.1 ) started up after the adapter was plugged in
( and I've even tried plugging it in after Classic starts - it
recognizes the adapter either way ).

I've made sure that NCU starts after the adapter is plugged in.
I've made sure it's looking for connections from AppleTalk, Modem
Port USB, and Printer Port USB.

I've made sure the Newton has been turned off and on after
connecting the dongle. I've made sure that the Dock app was started
after the dongle was connected.

In short I think I've tried every combination and permutation of
order of connection and order of software initialization that I can
think of. Barring a trip to Apple ( and a financial hit that I'm
not really sure I can take right now ), is there anything else to
try? I had meant to open it up at Victor's suggestion that the ROM
card might be a little loose, but I haven't had the time with the
trip fast approaching.

Thanks,

Zac