Re: [NTLK] What can you do with a newton

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 01:31:46 EST

on 22/11/01 15:38, stevetaylor_at_cantv.net at stevetaylor_at_cantv.net wrote:

> I've only just taken a interest with newtons but I want to know how they
> compare to todays pdas i know there much bigger but whats the software like,
> can U put any network card in a newton and network it like you would a
> computer, I've seen people put keyboards on them is there office software
> could you IRC through one you know I'd just like to know what people use them
> for now a days if any one wants to send me any pics of there newton feel
> welcome.

You can put a Newton MessagePad 2000 and 2100 and an eMate 300 very easily
on an Ethernet network. You can run terminal emulation on it, retrieve and
send email and browse the internet live with them.

There is no Office software, but there is NewtonWorks, which offers a decent
word processor, a spreadsheet module, a drawing module and a "calculation"
module which can handle formulas and stuff like that I believe. You can
export the word processor documents as RTF files on your desktop which can
usually be loaded in most desktop word processors, including Microsoft Word.
The spreadsheets you create can also be exported to the desktop and imported
into Excel.

For more information about the Newton, please visit "This Ol' Newton" at
<http://www.thisoldnewt.com/index2.html>. From this site, you will find
links to almost any other Newton related web sites.

There is also Newton Resources, specially for its Ethernet section at
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/>.

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor users get is the finger.