Re: [NTLK] Potential for large number of bounced messages?

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 16:23:03 EST

at the temporal coordinates: 11/29/01 4:11 PM, the entity known as Laurent
Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com conveyed the following:

> On 11/29/01 3:58 PM, "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com> wrote:
>
>> at the temporal coordinates: 11/29/01 3:48 PM, the entity known as James
>> Elliott at rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com conveyed the following:
>>

>>> MacAddict says that you can.

>> Actually, I just went to that article and it appeared to my reading that an
>> OS 8.1 could NOT use it, at least not w/o going to 'heroic' measures.
>>
>> My plan right now is to dust off my 33.6 modem, load the s/w on one of my
>> machines and just use the AOL account. If the shutdown appears it will be
>> long/permanent, I'll probably get EarthLink DSL. Unless anyone in the
>> DC/NoVA area knows of a reason not to go with them, that is... My quick
>> research (based on the Washington Post's page that presents all the local
>> DSL providers) is that they appear to have the best deal. And, apparently
>> my neighborhood *can* get DSL now.
>>
>> BTW, anyone have any favorite e-mail aliasing/forwarding providers to
>> recommend??
>
> Eric,
>
> Don't know where you are actually in the NoVA/DC area, but I'm in Herndon
> and I'm subscribed to Cox Cable service. They have a decent price of $29.95
> a month and so far, their service is quite good. Goes offline from time to
> time, but they usually fix it pretty quickly.
>
> -Laurent.

Ummm... The original reason for this thread is that Comcast (I'm in Prince
William County) is part of @Home, which is trying to muscle the cable
companies into a more favorable bankruptcy settlement by trying to have the
judge allow a shutdown of the @Home system. I thought Cox Cable was ALSO
using @Home as the ISP.

Anyway, yeah, if I can keep my Comcast_at_Home service, I'd love to. The only
glitches are that maybe once every week or three I have to reset the cable
modem. Perhaps because of those idiots that haven't patched their Windoze
systems to prevent the Code Red/Nimda thing from continuing?? (My cable
modem STILL is seeing near constant traffic, just that the traffic isn't so
bad that it totally clogs the system.)

But, if @Home goes off the air for an extended period, I'll have to figure
out some way to get a fix for my bandwidth addiction...

- Eric.