Re: [NTLK] 2100 screw

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 23:30:06 EDT

on 02/10/01 21:30, Jeremy Bond Shepherd at jbond_at_eskimo.com wrote:

>> One thing I noticed when trying to remove the SER: the
>> connector almost
>> stayed on the motherboard. It seems that the solder that hold
>> it on the SER
>> board are very light so if you try to remove it, the pins
>> section may
>> "stick" onto the motherboard. I carefully examined it after I
>> fully put the
>> connector back onto the SER board, and it was working fine. I
>> did the
>> "countersink" thing as well, since it was opened.
>
> Laurent,
>
> Can you please explain the steps you went through to countersink
> the SER-001 screw hole?
>
> I assume you probably obtained a countersink drill bit of a
> specific size? Then "drilled" out the hole so it was a bit wider
> and would allow the screw to sit flush with the surface of the board?
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If so, how did you know what size of countersink bit to use? Is
> this something you can buy in the hardware store?

That's pretty much it. I had a countersing drill bit that I did use
manually. I just rotated myself the bit until the screw would fit the
surface of the board. I don't know what kind of bit it is, since it was part
of the drill, but, yes, it's larger than the hole itself. I didn't think
much about it when I decided to give it a shot. I was just careful and did
rotate the bit manually with my hand.

-Laurent.