Re: [NTLK] Higher sampling rate

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2001 - 11:02:08 EDT

> They show 400ma drain with that card (active).
This I don't completely understand. Did you plug a DAQ card into the Newton
and looked onto the current consumption in Avi's or BattMon? What error msgs
got you on the card insertion?

> I seem to remember
> the limit being 1000 between the two PCMCIA slots and the interconnect
> port. This correct?
I can't imagine that 1A has been specified as maximum current rating for the
Newton PCMCIA slots. This would allow maximum 60min, probably much less
until the accu is empty. I've tried the famous Farallon 2-port hub with the
internal 1100mAh Newton accu. It took 500mA out of the accu and after a
quarter hour the Newton stated "accu going empty, recharge soon...". And the
accu became quite warm.

The 1A current limit is probably what the standard says as maximum rating
for PCMCIA cards. And I think that this might be only allowed during a
limited period of time, e.g. a few seconds to allow a MicroDrive to spin-up
quickly. Just another reason why a MicroDrive probably doesn't makes much
sense on a Newton w/o AC power.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing