[NTLK] Pen Scanner for eMate-Newton?

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 07:28:45 EDT

Tony,

> I would like to find out if there is a way (hardware/software and
> connection) to use a sort of Pen scanner like the IRISPen II (see below)
> with an eMate or Newton. With such a device I would have an easy way to
> enter text into the Newton or eMate. Not complete pages but up to several
> lines of text.

I am using the Siemens Pocket reader device which works with the Mac/Win but
also with the Newt due to the PReader package created by Eric M. Schneck.
You can find it at:

<www.unna.org/unna/drivers/other/PocketReader/>

I have tried it with my eMate but it can't run this NSBasic package fast
enough for the Pocket reader comm speed but with an MP2K it works fine.

Prices for the Pocket reader have been falling through the floor recently so
you could pick up a bargain. OCR accuracy is reasonable while the range of
typefaces/sizes that can be accommodated are not large it can be a useful
addition, especially out in the field and it is very easy to use.

Joel.