Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #278

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 16:18:47 EDT

From: "Jim Johnson" <jwj_at_llbcorp.com>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] GeoChron Clock

A Geochron (or at least the one in my office) is basically a clock,
based on
--snip--
to read the time. Also -- perhaps most interestingly -- illuminates the area
of the earth in sunlight (that is, shows the line of the terminator),
changing from parallel lines at the equinoxes, to bell-shaped (with arctic
--snip--

Well it doesn't do that but...

...the "Times Zone" app has a thin bar above the map that shows how
dark/light it is for the city you've chosen for your "home city". Choose
a location south of the equator (for those on the North) and the bar
changes to reflect this. Choose another city in the same hemisphere, and
the bar/map shifts to show the amount of light in that city relative to
the sun's position. Pretty slick, but I use SunUpDown for a more
accurate (to the minute) rise and set times.

And how many of you knew this (be honest)?

--

Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com mrollins_at_thermo.com