Re: [NTLK] New iPod...

From: Chet Johns (tcjohns_at_home.com)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 18:34:17 EDT

Ok, I looked at it, watched the demos, watched the commercial and decided I
want one. Right now I have the iomega hip zip, the one with the changeable
disks. Each holds about 6 to 10 songs so I also carry a bag full of disks.
Plays ok but the menus are not specifically user friendly. It uses USB so
seems painfully slow to transfer music files. Even worse was the Sony MD
walkman I wasted money on. It records in real time so 30 minutes of music
takes 30 minutes to record (on little floppy disks no less).

I would be more excited if it was $299, but still I've dumped enough on Zip
disks and sony minidisks to buy two of these devices. The fact that it is
firewire is no problem for my powerbook. I suspect since it can be
recognized as a firewire drive any firewire equipped PC should be able to
transfer music to it. Bill Gates did say firewire was a preferred interface
over intel's USB (I think he later retracted the statement). It's small,
it's cool and probably just the first step in the digital hub. Next being a
portable DVD player or maybe even a new PDA. Apple could probably buy palm
right now with profits the ipod will make.

Again, Steve Jobs rocks. Another product to add to my apple inventory.

Chet Johns