Re: [NTLK] Off-Topic Linux (PDA) Question

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 17:21:31 EST

At 09:16 PM 10/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>You would need a real fast processor and a ton of memory to be comfortable.
>And you would need to make it upgradeable because on the day you would
>introduce it, you would already be lagging a couple of versions behind...

Not true on either case. Look at J2ME. Hell, the KVM is butt-fast on a
Palm V... Nice thing about a JVM is scalability... Now, granted, the JVM
isn't *quite* ready for the handheld space (that's just IMHO) but in
another year I think *that* part of Java will come into it's own.

In the meantime I'm getting plenty of work as a Java expert... ;-)

>And don't forget that Micro$oft is trying as much as it can to kill it. For
>instance, XP was released recently without any JRE. Micro$oft wants to
>replace Java with C# (pronounced C-Sharp), which would run only on Windows
>platforms...

And it will never succeed for all it effort. Poor guys.. they really are
pretty damn stupid when it comes to anything Enterprise-level software.

>Will they succeed? Well, who knows? There are so many lemmings in the
>corporate US that I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to kill it...

Guess again. Try doing a Job search sometime for software engineers. The
most are still C++, then Java, and *then* VB/VBA/Access. Some analyst
groups think that Java will overtake C++ in job demand within two years.

MS just wants their share of that developer market. Good luck, since I'll
never use D-flat or J-Dull, ever....

--
David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net