Re: [NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 02:36:26 EDT

on 9/6/01 3:54 AM, Seth Vidal at skvidal_at_phy.duke.edu wrote:

> I was proposing asking apple for it.
>
> not dumping it from the current newtons.
>
> just asking if they were willing to do so.
>
> just like other companies have been persuaded to do the same.

Unfortunately, Apple is not "just like other companies." If you know
anything about Apple's hitory, they are known to jealously guard their trade
secrets, even if they are not secret. Look at how they attacked the iMac
clones for a recent example. :-) There is still a lot of proprietary
information that was in the Newton that is being developed and used today,
or planned for future use. One of those is the hand-writing engine. I just
read July's "Pen Computing" magazine, and there was a major article on
Window's up-coming pen-based tablet. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple is
internally developing a similar device. :-) No, I would never expect them to
release any code for the Newton. It might be remotely possible that they
would make some new 2k model Newtons if they were sorely pressed--(ha, ha,
ha. That was good for a laugh!) :-) See, nothing like what we would like to
see will happen. Actually, the best we could expect is some other
replacement for the Newton that, while maybe based on the Newton's concept,
won't be the Newton, even if it used some of its core technologies and even
code. However, personally, I don't expect even that!

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland