Re: [NTLK] PDF reader status (Waba)

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 15:27:52 EDT

> Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:50:04 +0200
> From: Hendrik Lipka <hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de>
>
> Friday, September 07, 2001, 3:32:22 PM, you wrote:
>

>> I guess _I_ have missed something. I didn't know we had Java on the Newt?
>
> Yes, we do :)
>
>> What is Waba?
>
> http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~sean/newton/waba/
> ------------------
> Waba is a stripped-down implementation of the Java Virtual Machine. By
> 'stripped down', we mean that it does not support doubles,
> longs, exceptions, finalizers, threading, reflection, custom class
> loaders, security or class verification, and the entire Java class library.
> Waba comes with its own library of small but useful classes -- the only
> classes Waba has in common with Java's class suite are Object,
> String, and StringBuffer, and Waba's implementations have only the bare
> minimum of methods.
> ------------------
>
> If you could stick to this, you are the first one to create a _real_
> cross platform waba program... and you poll was useless :)
>
> Hendrik
> --

despite the limitations listed above, Waba is quite powerful
(and there are some useful libraries available, e.g., wextra).

for a list of current apps that have been tested on Newton, and some not yet
finished or ported:
  http://members.home.net/saweyer/waba/dev/app_index.htm

(most should work on desktop(Windows,Mac,...), Palm, WinCE, Newton
-- and there has been some work on Waba VMs for Amiga, DOS, TI Calculator,
...)

this would especially be attractive if you can find some Java source for a
PDF viewer/converter.

(btw, I've ported the VNC Java client to Waba, and once I supplied the
proper port number, it actually started to display some of my Mac screen on
my Windoze desktop; next (probably next week), I need to get past some bugs,
get keyboard/cursor events working, and maybe add a way to scroll bigger
screen; then I'll try it on Newton -- and see how speedy and reliable Socket
and underlying graphics are... if I get even more ambitious, I might port a
Java VNC server so you could display a Newton app/screen across network and
interact with it; of course, I think you can already do some of that with
NPDS)

--
Steve
http://www.kagi.com/weyer/#Waba