Re: [NTLK] Newton MessagePad 2100

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 07:13:35 EDT

Manfred Mortera (mmortera_at_netpci.com) wrote:

> You mention a "crossover" cable. Does that mean there is no HUB? I've always
> thought that Ethernet was a star topology rather than a bus.

Ethernet as such doesn't specify a particular topology, but 10Base-T,
100Base-T (fast ethernet) and gigabit ethernet require a star topology
(i.e. you generally need a hub). However, for connecting two devices, be
it two desktop computers, a PC/Mac and a Newton, a computer and a printer
etc., a crossover cable works (nearly) as well. With two gigabit ethernet
computers, even a normal patch cable suffices, as this interface can tell
whether it's connected to a hub or another computer.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
WWW: http://michael-hussmann.de