Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100: Internet over localtalk to mac?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 09:50:12 EDT

on 9/24/01 9:37 AM, john_fraser_at_mac.com at john_fraser_at_mac.com wrote:

> Thanks for the infomration but that had nothing to do with my question. As
> stated in another post I know about localtalk=
> bridge software and that software is not what I want.
>
> I'll try one more time. I'm sorry if it's not very clear.
>
> In the TCP/IP control panel on any mac I have the option of appletalk (Mac IP)
> as a way to connect to the internet. This=
> was very surprising because I don't know of a way to connect to the net via
> apple talk (Mac ip). It asks for an Ip addr=
> ess of the machine (host) and that is it (everything else will be filled in by
> the 'sever'. I'm currently asking how to =
> setup a server that allows other macs to hook up via MacIP (apple talk). I
> believe this needs Apple IP server or Mac os =
> x server software.
>
> My question is, if I can figure out how to server TCP/IP over appletalk (Mac
> IP) will my newton be able to use this feed=
> just like a mac would on my network?

I think that MacIP is when you use Ethernet over LocalTalk, so it's kind of
related to the LocalTalk bridge.

But now that I think about it, I don't think that the Newton has the ability
to use MacIP. The only way to make an Ethernet connection that seems
possible is through the use of an Ethernet card. I don't see any MacIP
choice anywhere.

-Laurent.

Mongolian Hordes technique n.: [poss. from the Sixties counterculture
expression `Mongolian clusterfuck' for a public orgy] Development by gang
bang. Implies that large numbers of inexperienced programmers are being put
on a job better performed by a few skilled ones (but see bazaar). Also
called `Chinese Army technique'; see also Brooks's Law.