Re: [NTLK] Wavelan [Was: Re: $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton .]

From: Gerstein, Sam (Sam.Gerstein_at_BOS.StreamServe.com)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 14:58:58 EDT

> * Hubertus <hubertus_at_mac.com> on Tue, 25 Sep 2001
> | I am speaking of WLANs. To login at the access point you have
> | to authenticate with pppoe. Behind the access point might be a
> | router, a firewall etc.
>
> Oh. You are roaming. What the F! are they doing PPPoE over 802.11b?
> PPPoE is dumb to begin with, but PPPoE over 802.11b is
> rock-stupid, because
> it *ISN'T* peer-to-peer.

PPP is Point to Point Protocol... what's your argument against PPPoE? It
seems to me to be a reasonable way of adding a level of authentication on an
unsecure physical network.. perhaps I'm misunderstanding the implementation?
er.. I'm realizing that we're getting a little off topic here.. as the
Newton doesn't support it anyway.

-Sam