Re: [NTLK] Wavelan [Was: Re: $50.00 wireless Internet for Newton .]

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 16:21:27 EDT

* "Gerstein, Sam" <Sam.Gerstein_at_BOS.StreamServe.com> on Tue, 25 Sep 2001
| PPP is Point to Point Protocol... what's your argument against PPPoE?

Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet tunnels Ethernet over... Ethernet.

| It seems to me to be a reasonable way of adding a level of authentication
| on an unsecure physical network..

Which remains exactly as insecure as before. Ethernet already has several
authentication mechanisms: MAC address on the adaptor and in the case of
802.11b the encryption and authentication keys they use. PPPoE does not
functionally improve on these in any way, shape or form. It only offers
the illusion of improved security.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover