Re: [NTLK] -48205 error

From: Scott P. Richert (ajrichert_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 17:53:12 EDT

Actually, I'm not concerned about saving the InOut soup--I just got the
MP last week, and so I have nothing of value in InOut. However, if I
delete InOut Items and try again, I get the same error.

Scott

On 15/04/02 16:18, "Scott P. Richert" <ajrichert_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know what a -48205 error is, and how to get rid of it? The
> NewtonOS Error Database tells me:
>
> Errorno: -48205
> Category: Object System Errors
>
> But that's not particularly helpful. I'm getting the error when I use
> inet Mail to receive mail and one of the messages has an attachment.
> (I've been mailing Newton packages to myself, since I don't have a
> dongle and just got an ethernet card, but didn't have the ethernet
> portion of NIE installed.) It will download the message and the
> enclosure, but then it gives me the error and doesn't download any
> further messages. It also doesn't disconnect from the internet, and I
> have to disconnect manually. Finally, the only way I can get inet Mail
> to work properly after the error is to go into Storage and delete the
> Enroute POP List.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how have you dealt with
> it? Would switching to SimpleMail solve it?

I'm afraid that your InOut soup is hosed. If you really want to save it,
try
using SBM Utilities and run Doctor. You can try to email Simon Bell, the
creator of SimpleMail and explain your problem.

-Laurent.

C++ /C'-pluhs-pluhs/ n.: Designed by Bjarne Stroustrup of AT&T Bell Labs
as
a successor to C. Now one of the languages of choice, although many
hackers
still grumble that it is the successor to either Algol 68 or Ada
(depending
on generation), and a prime example of second-system effect. Almost
anything
that can be done in any language can be done in C++, but it requires a
language lawyer to know what is and what is not legal-- the design is
almost
too large to hold in even hackers' heads. Much of the cruft results from
C++'s attempt to be backward compatible with C. Stroustrup himself has
said
in his retrospective book "The Design and Evolution of C++" (p. 207),
"Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to
get
out." [Many hackers would now add "Yes, and it's called Java" --ESR]