Re: [NTLK] Newton battery questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 17:00:55 EDT

Yes. I've done this before. Sometimes when a
rechargeable battery is drained too far, it will
reverse polarity. This usually only happens in a
single cell of a multi-cell pack. I've found that if
the battery is, say a 6v pack, hitting it with 12v
might get it to come back. I did this with a Satellite
phone battery pack (the vendor acknowledged that their
packs were flawed and wanted to charge us $300 for a
new battery...yeah right! I hit that 12v battery with
24 volts and it was just enough to get the charging
cycle to start and charge the battery back...) Not
recommended for the faint of heart!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:

> On 29/04/02 16:40, "Richard Barraclough"
> <richard_at_sigma.ndo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > How do you recondition? Is there software to do it
> on the Newton like on
> > PowerBooks?
>
> The only way you can recondition is by completely
> discharging the battery
> and then recharging it. That is, if it's not too
> late to squeeze it. I've
> read a few times that a battery that is subjected to
> a large power (or was
> it voltage, Frank?) for a very short period of time
> can be salvaged for a
> little while, but I've never tried that myself.
>
> -Laurent.

=====
- Arthur C. Clarke -