Re: [NTLK] Synching - Was [All sorts of stuff]

From: Sushi (sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 22:52:49 EDT

Doing this is a great idea, while at the same time it hamstrings you as well.

The Palm is limited in the contact data fields. Off of the top of my head, I
believe that there are 6 fields that you can use anyway you want.

That means that I can have 6 Email addresses, but no phone numbers.

On the Newt, I can have 6 Email addresses, 5 phone numbers, a fax number or 2,
or 3,... or a myriad of other contact info.

No desktop system that I know of will allow you to sync the full Newton data
capability.

So if you don't mind limiting yourself, then this concept is good. Otherwise,
you may find it hard to use.

That is why I just stayed Newt centric.

Sushi

On Tue, 30 April 2002, "Stephen Swift (aka Burnum)" wrote

> At 4/30/02 5:46 PM, Bryce Lynch (bryce_at_telerama.lm.com) Wrote:
>
> > People have. I think it would make more sense to no reinvent the wheel
> > needlessly - some of the information required is already out there.
>
> Ok. I see your point. If we're going to put the effort in, we might as
> well make something that really suits are needs. But I think the fooling
> PIMs to make them think they are talking to a Palm is *key*. Looking at al=
> this syncing option, everyone has different needs and requirements. Palm i=
> such an industry standard that almost every application that has syncing
> ability can sync with the Palm. At least that end of the syncing problem
> would be taken care of. Now if we want to create a new program for the
> Newton that accomplishes this effectively, perfect.
>
> Stephen Swift =BF' The Burnum Man
> burnum_at_mac.com
>

> --

Talk Stocks with Smart Investors -- http://www.ragingbull.com

Click Below for Brokerage Specials for Raging Bull Users
http://www.ragingbull.com/tradingcenter