[NTLK] Why use the Newton to surf the web/e-mail?

From: Christopher Edwards (chris_at_ingramedwards.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 14:14:16 EST

I gotta ask this..why use a Newton to surf the web and do e-mail?

Here is what I mean; I read how people have wireless networks in their homes
via Airport, Linksys, etc. I doubt these networks were installed just for a
Newton. I would surmise that the networks were already in place for another
portable and a lot of these users are trying to get a Newton to work within
this environment. With that in mind, I would guess that most of these users
also have a portable of some kind.

So why use the Newton to wirelessly surf the web or check and write e-mail?
The Newton is woefully inadequate for web surfing and, even though the HWR
is great on the Newton, I bet it is faster to enter an e-mail via a real
keyboard. The Newton does some great things. I myself use a 2100 but not for
internet stuff. For that I use my Powerbook. Whay use a Newton as a Web
Server. For the cost of a 2100 one could buy an old Mac for this and it
would be faster.

I read about this kind of thing on Low End Mac all the time. The writer will
have a Powerbook 5300 "for e-mail, simple word processing and web surfing",
a Quadra 800 for osme FilemakerPro work and a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet for
"everything else". Why? Why not use the G3 for it all? Why go through the
trouble of maintaining all the Macs it takes to get various jobs done? Whay
not just use one computer for it all. Isn't that what computers are supposed
to do for us...simplify?

I use an Airport and a Linksys router/hub. My Powerbook is my workhorse. It
does ALL tasks I need. I have a Lime 333mHz iMac for the kids on wired into
the network and a Performa 6500/225 as a server that I can access from
anywhere using Carracho.

In addition to the above I also own a 128K (still in the original box),
512ke, Plus (still in the original box), Se, SE/30 Classic, Classic II,
Color Classic, and a Performa 200.

The difference is that I collect these. I don't actually use them. They all
work as intended but I don't want to futz with them.

Anyway, just wondering.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html