Re: [NTLK] Useless(?) update function

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 17:39:56 EST

> Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 00:37:15 +1100
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Useless(?) update function
> From: Phil Denton <nanjad_at_ozemail.com.au>
> Good thread. Not so useless after all?
> My Newton does have connectivity apps loaded so I dont know if this
> would work without them but someone could confirm this function works
> on a Newt with the minimum configuration.

I just happen to have a brainwiped 2100 that was a Christmas present on it. Nothing installed yet except for Dragon Demo.

I go to In/Out, tap receive -> Update (Drumroll please!)

It asks for a phone number!

So, hook up a "cigarette box" modem, set the modem prefs, choose a random 800 number...

It works! Dialing out with no NIE (or anything internet related) installed! However, I don't have a PCMCIA or other serial modem on hand, so YMMV! (Although PCMCIA, 14.4 and faster were choices in the prefs dialog).

So now all that is missing is the desktop computer program to answer the phone.

HTH!

-Animal

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html