[NTLK] Useless(?) update function

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 16:56:50 EST

Recently there was a thread about how the update function in the in/out box
could download system updates by calling a number with the modem. Does anyone
know what was running at Apple's end of the phone line?

One might hypothesize that it was merely a derivative of NPI, where you set it
up with a modem, specified a package to install, and any Newt that called in
was automatically sent the package (in this case a system update).

If this is how it worked, it should be able to work with any package, and it
might be useful for developers to distribute packages. I'd certainly like it if
no matter where I went, downloading the latest ATA support was as easy as
dialing a phone. Obviously we'd have to worry about long distance charges, but
it would be great for those of us who take our Newts on the road.

(Admittedly it is a matter of opinion whether this is better than NCU or
NIE-based installation, but at the very least, it would be fun to mess around
with.)

Is this on UNNA? Or is there anyone who works at Apple who would be willing to
do a little investigation?

-A

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html