Re: [NTLK] Useless(?) update function

From: Andrew Thiel (aothiel_at_unity.ncsu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 28 2002 - 09:52:18 EST

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 00:01:29 +0100
 From: Paul Guyot <pguyot_at_kallisys.net>
 Subject: Re: [NTLK] Useless(?) update function

> Po (At) 17:38 -0500 26/12/02, Paul Guyot Skribit (wrote) :
> I thought like you until I had a look. Apparently, it uses a
> different protocol, although I'm not entirely sure.
> As far as bootstrapping is concerned, I think it would be easier to
> write a Dock-modem compatible server.

Do we know how the Dock's modem protocol works? Indeed, there is a modem option in the "Connect via" picker, But how do we get NCU to receive via the modem-dock? (I'm gussing this is covered in your "Newton bowels project"?)
You're right, the dock does seem to be a better choice. BUT we still need something to mediate between the desktop computer's modem and NCU. Something similar in functionality to TCPserial?

--
<$.02>
Before, if you lost/never had a dongle, you could buy a SER-001. Now that PCBman has stopped production, we *need* a new dongle alternative. Since this is a software solution (with the exception of having to find a Newton-compatible PCMCIA modem), this might turn out to be the most affordable and accessible dongle alternative yet. After that, you have your NIE installed and can move to ethernet.

-Animal