Re: [NTLK] Connecting Newton to OSX (unixnpi)

From: Steven Frank (stevenf_at_panic.com)
Date: Fri Feb 22 2002 - 16:47:04 EST

On Wednesday, February 20, 2002, at 05:50 AM, zbir_at_urbanape.com wrote:

> Just run the following command:
>
> (zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ cc -o unixnpi unixnpi.c
> (zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ mv unixnpi /where/it/lives/bin/
> (zbir_at_gibbon ~/unixnpi-1.1.3) $ cp unixnpi.rc ~/.unixnpi.rc

This doesn't quite work as is -- there is another .c file that has to be
compiled and linked in. It's best to edit the Makefile, change "gcc" to
"cc" in there, and then back to the shell and "make".

Also the default rc file seems to be stored in a sub-directory called
"template", so your cp command there would generate an error.

Now, all that said, I am still having difficulty getting unixnpi to
work. :)

I have a KeySpan Twin Serial adapter on my PowerBook G4, and installed
KeySpan's driver (the very recent one, for Mac OS X 10.1.3). I get the
two entries in /dev.

But there are two problems. First of all, unixnpi seems to be ignoring
the .rc file, even after I copy it to ~/.unixnpi.rc. It ALWAYS seems to
want /dev/newton to exist, regardless of what's in the .rc file.
Although it was pretty late, maybe I screwed up somehow when copying the
.rc file.

But even after setting up a symlink for /dev/newton, and trying to send
a package, unixnpi just hangs. Trying to establish a connection from
the Newt (a 2000) fails every time (no response).

Furthermore, it seems to be impossible to kill unixnpi once this
happens. Ctrl-C doesn't stop it. kill -9 <pid> as root doesn't stop it
either.

Any suggestions? I've tried plugging the serial cable into both ports
on the adapter, and I've tried symlinking /dev/newton to both of the
KeySpan /dev entries. Can't make it go. Am I supposed to specify a
certain baud rate?

Running NBU under Classic allows me to send packages flawlessly, but if
I could get unixnpi to work, I'd be happy to make a nice OS X native
Cocoa front-end for it and share with you all.

BTW, I assume the .1 and .2 extensions on the KeySpan /dev files refer
to the two ports on the adapter, not the two USB ports on the system.
Is that true?

Steven