Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 14:01:28 EST

On 09/01/02 12:24, "oliver.brose_at_t-online.de" <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de>
wrote:

>> Date: 8 Jan 2002 18:03:07 -0800
>> From: Sushi <sushi_at_ragingbull.com>
>> Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bigger than iWalk
>>
>> great. OTOH, if I want something that recognizes my handwriting I can use
>> the Newton. Well, okay, maybe a Pocket PC. But definitely not a Palm
>> device.
>
> Do you really get a Pocket PC to read your writing?
> I have to pull out my iPaqed friend again here.
> I try to write on it whenever possible. When he's watching me doing it,
> he always sais: "It won't read that mess!".
> And it does not. Not at all.
> I say: "That was *neat* writing in comparison to how I'm used to smear on
> the Newt! I'll just scratch this out and try again...".
> He: "You can't just scratch out, it's not a Newton."
> I : "Oh, how could I forget...".
> He: "Wait, I'll show you.".
> Then he goes and writes on it. Letter by letter, in a schoolgirl's
> handwriting, slowly, much more like painting the words.
> And the thing gets about 60% right.
> If I'd write like that on the Newt, I would neither bother the cursive
> engine, nor electronic ink, and I would still get 98%, in realtime.
> He actually tells me from time to time that he is taking notes at meetings
> and when he's in business-classes.
> I really wonder how he does that.
> I really wonder how they manage to market these things as well.

I have a co-worker who showed me a Casio-based PocketPC, the Cassiopeia, and
he gave me a demonstration of the handwriting recognition. I must say I was
impressed. He didn't have a real neat handwriting, but the thing did
recognize the few words he did write. He wrote maybe 3 or 4 words, so I
don't know how it works for continuous writing. The other nice thing was
that he could write anywhere on the screen and the text would appear in the
text box that had the insertion point. Unfortunately, he had to deal with
this ugly, heavyweight interface that is based on Windows for the desktop...

-Laurent.

featurectomy /fee`ch*r-ek't*-mee/ n.: The act of removing a feature from a
program. Featurectomies come in two flavors, the `righteous' and the
`reluctant'. Righteous featurectomies are performed because the remover
believes the program would be more elegant without the feature, or there is
already an equivalent and better way to achieve the same end. (Doing so is
not quite the same thing as removing a misfeature.) Reluctant featurectomies
are performed to satisfy some external constraint such as code size or
execution speed.