Re: [NTLK] An idea for Names...

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 09:09:30 EST

>On 1/13/02 @ 10:48 PM, Eric Schneck wrote:
>
>The reason I am chiming in on this is that I was thinking
>about another Names enhancement. Wouldn't it be great if
>all of that Newton Intelligence (tm) could be applied to
>the email address. It is almost impossible for me to get
>the handwriting recognition to work accurately on an
>email address.

Interesting idea.

While your idea would be a time saver, there are so many name conventions
out there that it might be difficult to give the user a good selection.
The user may end up spending more time editing the name than it would
take to enter the name in the first place.

Using your idea to build upon, maybe instead of the whole name
suggestion, when the user enters the @ mark and first letter, say a then
the Newt would fill in aol.com. If they entered m and a, then the Newt
would fill in mac.com, or m and s then it would be msm.com.

Operation would be similar to the typical browser window URL fill in.

Yes, for some providers you can actually select that in the Email popup,
but I prefer to enter the whole address.

In the FWIW department, when I switched back to the Newt from the Palm,
this was one area that left me frustrated.

My normal input is in cursive -- which did not work well for entering
Email addresses.

Then I tried printed input for each character in the Email dialog.

Even the @ mark and periods.

It works very well for me. YMMV.

So far, there are only two characters that I miss badly from the Palm
Pilot Grafitti entry system. One is the delete hyphen, basically a
backwards "-" to delete one character. Of course, you can do multiple
backwards hyphen to delete multiple characters. The other is the return
key, to go to the next line. I didn't realize how much I use these two
characters until I switched back to the Newt.

Sushi