[NTLK] Newton print quality

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 08:41:58 EST

The only thing I am somewhat disappointed about in my Newton (MP2kU), is
its rather poor print quality, at least when printing to a parallel
printer via the PrintPack (actually through the Linux pipeline, because
I don't have a parallel convertor - yet). Those blocky printouts are
hardly useable as drafts, let alone as presentable documents.

So, what I'm interested in to know is, when the Newton prints to a
genuine PostScript printer, does it still use its own built-in bitmapped
fonts, or does it substitute them for the printer's PostScript fonts? If
the latter is the case, I might splash out the dough for a PostScript
printer for the Newton (I seem to remember that someone once made a
portable, thermal transfer, PostScript printer, IIRC it was one of the
Citizen PNxx series).

It would be nice to be able to use the Newton as my primary computer,
but for that to be the case, acceptable printouts are a necessity.

--
Karel Jansens
kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be

"We're here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and we're all out of gum." (Dr. Zulu of Team Diotoir on Robot Wars Extreme)