Re: [NTLK] [OT] anime

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 15:39:05 EST

> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:05:50 -0500
> From: Karen Boyette <tokimi_at_collapsar.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] anime
>
> Well, the problem that I have with cartoon network (and this may not
> apply to everyone) is that, thanks to their hacked up, pathetically
> dubbed versions of otherwise good programs (except for Dragonball), they
> have created a grouping of people who have no concept of what anime
> really is.

So you think these people will never ever know about Grave of the Fireflies?

> Japanese because anime comes from Japan. They wear bright yellow
> button-down polyester shirts smattered with random Kanji and Dragonball
> characters. Oh, and they smell bad.

Hey, if you wore polyester all day...

> And if they're not this kind of
> juvenile fan, then there's always the "let's watch them Jap chicks get
> raped by monsters" kind of people.

I hope I did not create a wrong picture of myself... those movies are not
really among my favourites, but *talking* about TMs is good fun, especially
if you find out that there are people trying to create themselves TM
costumes in time for the next AnimeCon...and those are sane people, no
polyester shirts for sure!

> I'm just bitter because ever increasing popularity of anime has caused
> its fanbase to shift from true anime-appreciators to excessive freaks
> and it's made my life hell, since I'm a Japanese major.
> And that's why I tend not to tell people I'm an anime fan.

Well, you do not have to associate with the freaks, or do you?
Just because what others do to your hobby seems wrong and excessive from
your perspective, it does not make you or your hobby any worse.

> Now aren't you sorry you asked!

No, should I?

Oliver ;)

--
Please Lick This iMac: Yet another utterly annoying, nearly perfect gizmo
gem from those shameless bastards at Apple