Re: [NTLK] [OT] NCU-like software native MacOS X: what prevents it

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 20:59:09 EST

> I don't know what you call responsive, but I cannot really type to
> write programs with CW6 in MacOS X (well, when it did not crash as
> soon as System updates is launched).

I am wondering whether you might have some unusual configuration on the
system you are running OS X on. I ran OS X, the Public Beta version, on
a beige G3 in my old school's publications computer lab. It did not have
nearly the instability problems you describe, and it sounds like your
speed issues are much more severe than what I saw on that machine. Which
is vexing, because I was running it on a 266 with 96 MB RAM. By all
rights, your system running X.1 ought to be MUCH faster. Is there any
troubleshooting that I or others could help you with off-list?

> It concerns me because a lot of Newton users find "Unix fun" like you
> do (let me say that it's the first time I read this, and I still have
> some troubles to eat it that someone finds Unix "fun"), believe that
> it's ok that MacOS X is slower than MacOS because they feel that it
> crashes less (or maybe they just believe what they're told) --
> personally, I have the inverse feeling, maybe because my MacOS
> configuration is well organized -- and therefore definitely wants an
> OpenSTEP native connection software.

I certainly understand your complaints about OS X. But I still don't
understand why the idea that others like it should bother you. For that
matter, I'm not sure I understand why you are developing software for
this environment, which sounds like it has many problems for developers,
and which you personally don't like? Maybe it would be better to wait
for Apple to complete the documentation of the API you needed?

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj