Re: [NTLK] Connecting MPs with localtalk

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 03:56:56 EST

This is not completely right: since LocalTalk is the hardware layer and
Appletalk the protocol to be transmitted via this hardware layer you can of
course have file sharing between Macs using AppleTalk while having them
connected in a LocalTalk network. It is not as fast as Ethernet of course,
but it works. And of course the Newt will understand AppleTalk as well. The
slowest connection (but the easiest to install) is PhoneNet, where you have
AppleTalk via the PhoneNet hardware. The idea behind was to use already
existing phone cables for the network hardware. LocalTalk and PhoneNet
have in common that they are driven from the serial RS-422 interfaces of
the Mac (or Newt) via a little adaptor box.

Johannes