Re: [NTLK] Connecting MPs with localtalk

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 03:47:28 EST

Of course it is possible to have a couple of Newts together in a AppleTalk
Network, they will also "see" a printer in the AppleTalk Network and access
it. (AppleTalk is the protocol only) Long time a go I used to have such a
little Network together with my former collegue Marco Mailand. What I do
not remember well is if we were able to communicate between the Newts
directly. But I think "send" via AppleTalk should work.

The other part of your question was the hardware:
you can have AppleTalk communication via different media:
1) via the so called phone net (the little boxes you mentioned with serial
on one end and phone connectors on the other end)
        this is the poorest connection you can have
2) via LocalTalk net (also little connection boxes with serial out and on
the other side the special LocalTalk cable and connectors)
        this is better then phone net
3) via Ethernet (in order to do that you either need a network card in the
Newt or a LocalTalk to Ether converter)
        this is the best and fastest way to connect your Newt (to printers, Macs,
Network servers running AppleTalk clients, or PCs with AppleTalk Software)

Johannes