Re: [NTLK] Re - properly designed site

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 11:32:57 EST

>On 1/29/02 @ 10:49 PM, Eric L. Strobel wrote:
>
>If you want to reach the maximum number of folks, you
>code your pages so that you're virtually guaranteed to
>support most any browser.

Well put!

After I got ADSL (1.5Mbs) I was excited to go browsing sites that seemed
to take forever to DL'd via modem.

Surprisingly, I found that only some were faster. Many were hampered by
JAVA and other junk that slowed them down. Granted they looked pretty,
but in my case, I would rather have the data, then choose which way to
go. A simplistic approach if you will.

A friend of mine, who has worked on major sites gave me two rules to go
by:

1. At 28.8, the first page should be DL'd and displayed within 30
seconds.

2. The user should get a basic understanding of the page within 5
seconds, and fully comprehend in less than 30 seconds.

Surprisingly how many sites this doesn't apply to. More surprisingly is
now that I have ADSL, how I am venturing away from slow sites. It is now
very easy to see which ones are slow and not well designed.

Sometimes I test the pages in Netscape Navagator and IE to compare. It
seems like some are designed to be NS friendly and others IE friendly.
Yet, if they use HTML, they should both work the same, I would think.

...so much for Internet standards... :-o

In a discussion about this very problem, another buddy mentioned he had
the same problems with some sites. Now for me, it was hard to believe
since he has a dual Pentium 4 at 1.5Mhz and 1GB of RAM, but I digress.
His point was that a web site should be able to tell what device is
querying it, then respond with the appropriate type of page.

What a neat approach.

I access a site with a Mac running NS and I get all the bells and
whistles. I access that same site with my Newt, and get text and simple
graphics tailored to my Newt. Likewise I acess the site via my Palm, and
the same thing, the content is tailored to my Palm screen. All this
would be done automatically.

Now that would be cool. Especially now since many folks are starting to
access the web via cell phones and PDA's such as the Treo.

Sushi