Re: [NTLK] Please trim your replies

From: Simon Wright (diver06_at_attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Jul 21 2002 - 12:42:15 EDT

>Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:17:44 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>
>On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:
>
>> Can we please have a little more effort to trim replies? <hal9000x_at_mac.com>
>> had something to say which took him one line, but then quoted dozens more.
>> Not to pick on him -- this happens far too often on this list. This makes
>> it really hard for us reading in Digest mode.

>> Until/unless Victor can do something programmatically to reject postings

>Oh, I can. It is in fact on - it's just that the threshold is set very
>high, so about the only thing it rejects is entire digests forwarded back

I would very much appreciate having a filter on the list which
keeps ratio of quoted text to "original" text to something
reasonable. As has been said, over-quoting by *many* contibutors
means that I usually just skim the Contents list in Digest mode.
I just can't be bothered to scroll past acres of quoted material
that I've already seen before. This is made worse by people that
allow their e-mailers to only put a quoting character before the
first line of a para.

--
Simon Wright

Real mail to undiver06 at gmx dot net Remove un from diver06

Moalboal - the most affordable diving in the Philippines . . . http://www.moalboal.ws