Re: [NTLK] ANN: Heads up (SER-001)

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 17:30:42 EDT

Can I please hear from some who have bought the new SER-001?

Has anybody with a NEW SER-001 experienced the intermittant failures that
the old model exhibited on some setups?

My original SER-001 never worked reliably on my Newton, even after
countersinking. For example, I would get intermittant failures in the
middle of a package install, and sometimes the contact would go completely
dead and I would have to open the Newton and reseat the SER-001 board. I
recall that a few others had the same issues.

It sounds like the new model has been designed with a more robust
connection to the motherboard in the aim of elimating these problems. I'm
sorely tempted to buy one, but would feel better about it if someone who
had both an OLD and a NEW SER-001 could write in with a report that the new
model hasn't failed for them.

Any success stories welcomed!

Thanks,

-Jeremy