Re: [NTLK] AW: WG: error 48209 is actually 48409

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 19:12:02 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurent Daudelin <nemesys_at_cox.net>
To: NewtonTalk <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Monday, June 10, 2002 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] AW: WG: error 48209 is actually 48409

>on 10/06/02 09:03, Christian Matzerath at christian.matzerath_at_stormy.tv
>wrote:
>
>> Errrr... Laurent,
>>
>> when I delet Big Notes, what will happen with my big notes (bigger than
>> newton size 32k?) Does it vanish or does the newt create another note?
>
>You might be able to see them in the Notepad, but you might get an error
>that the Note is too big. Now, Christian, I want you to understand that it
>might not be BigNote that is the problem, but I did try it a long time ago
>and started having problems when doing backup. I ended up deleting it. Now,
>whenever I hear about someone mentioning problems with Notes, I'm always
>suspecting some kind of 3rd party "enhancer", that "makes your life
easier".
>In all the years I've used a Newton, I've never had any problem with the
>notepad, except when I tried BigNote. So, you can understand that I'm
always
>reluctant to all those extensions that are supposed to "make your life
>easier" or "should have been part of the OS", etc. The Newton engineers did
>make them like we know them for probably some reasons. If the notepad can't
>contain notes that are larger than 8 KB, there must be some reason.
Patching
>the application to override that limit is not smart, IMHO...
>
>So, Christian, you make the call. You might want to bring the text of your
>note into Works, if you're using a NOS 2.1-based Newton, although without
>BigNote, you'll have a hard time doing it. You could also try Twerx from
Dan
>Rowley. It's an extension that lets you move a note from the notepad to
>Works.
>
>Other than that, your notepad's soup might be corrupted beyond repair and
>you might have to forget it, unfortunately. Sorry!

There is another posiblity, with X-port you might be able to export the
notes you want or at least really big ones that are giveing you trouble, and
reimport them splitting them up in the process. Of course X-port is not a
free program, depends on how much you want to keep those notes. Another
thing you could try is using the export via RTF format with NCU (then import
it into newtworks or chop it into smaller peices first then import it back
into notes), though if you are having backup problems then I doubt that will
work. But you could give a shot.

-Dan