Re: [NTLK] ethernet

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 09:34:20 EST

> I would like to do a hard reset, and just put a few of the most
> important programs back on my Newton, but I don't have a recent backup.
> Maybe a soft reset with extensions off will help me connect.
I'm using since years always the card as place for all sorts of new data and
programs, except a few things which have to go onto the internal memory
(ethernet driver, NIE stuff, some other drivers and important extensions and
AVIs backdrop). If you carfully look thru all your soups and file all data
entries from internal to card, you'll be able to remove the card and have
all your data taken out of the Newton. This is especially handy if your
Newton broke down (as mine did once). In order to ensure proper operation of
the card(s) I backup and restore on another Newton and another card
everything and check thus the integrety of my data and backup too. Finally I
somtimes swap either the Newtons or the cards and check thus the hardware
too as well as maintain an operational backup of both, hard- and software.
And in most cases I successfully disciplined myself to check-out new
software on the backup system first, before messing up the 'hot' device ;-)

Could you somehow get Basilisk doing LocalTalk via serial port on the
PEECEE? I've never tried the Basilisk Ethernet connection because I always
had a real beige Mac close to the beige box ;-)

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG