Re: [NTLK] GPSmap maps (was [ANN] Holland maps)

From: John Goggan (jgoggan_at_dcg.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 00:07:06 EST

Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
> Most GPS components speak NEMA 183 at 4800bps. I should have a TeleType
> CFI GPS receiver in a few days. I'll post whatever compatability
> information I can when it arrives.

Ok -- thanks!

> Well, "GPS" and "cheap" are contradictory terms. You're looking at $150
> to $300 for a PC-Card or CFI/II GPS receiver.

Now -- is GPSmap compatible with any PC-Card receivers? It just mentions the
serial-port compatibility. Or, is there other decent GPS software for the
Newt that works with a card? I think I'd rather just slide a GPS card in, if
possible, then try to do some serial-based connection...

As for "cheap"... I guess I was hoping to stay under US$100. I've seen the
Garmin GPS 12 unit go for under $100 on EBay on a few occasions. According to
the specs, it supports NEMA183 and serial transfers. Shouldn't something like
that work? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

 - John...