Re: [NTLK] Got a question? Check the FAQ (or somewhere else) - Anywhere other than here.

From: Judy Perry (jperryl_at_ecs.fullerton.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 12:57:59 EST

Of course YOU don't think it needs re-writing -- you already know most of
what you need to know and, what you don't know, you know HOW to find. But
the Newton isn't like anything else a newbie (like me) has an awareness
of, so, as I said previously, frequently I don't even know how to frame a
question, much less what search terms (also unknown) to use. People ARE
put off by being told to go figure it out themselves. For some (if not
many) of us, our Newton didn't come with so much as a manual (or, in my
case, the cables needed to connect it to anything else I own). (Yes, I
KNOW that this is downloadable somewhere, probably even on Apple's support
site which has of recent times become much more difficult to navigate).

I'm not trying to be whiny here, and I AM a teacher myself... but I can
tell you that on the Hypercard list, nobody tells newbies who are
wondering how to "play" a sound to go look it up. People just answer the
question because they have a sense of community that welcomes newcomers
and they know that it is those first few stumbling blocks that either make
or break a user, and they want to make more users.

It takes a village, you know... ;-)

Judy Perry