Re: [NTLK] Backups (also: thank you's) (long, as usual)

From: Paul Nuernberger (newton_at_thenuernbergers.com)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 21:54:10 EDT

I doubt that you are doomed. I've backed up to a P4-2G with 1G RDRAM
running Win2k (now XP, but haven't tried it yet). Try using multiple
instances of slowdown, at least 2 - 3 might be needed. Also, the 'reaction'
slider does NOT need to be at the slowest setting. Works better for me if
it is halfway or higher on each copy.

Your Mileage May Vary

Paul Nuernberger

> From: "Michael Mays" <chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net>
> Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 20:35:30 -0500
> To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
> Subject: [NTLK] Backups (also: thank you's) (long, as usual)
>

> Allright. I'm sure this question's been asked before. Unfortunately, after=
> a search of the NTLK archives and some of Google, I am still at a loss.=
> Perhaps someone who's had a similar issue can help.
>
> I am attempting to back up my UMP2000 to my computer, a 1.4GHz 266/DDR=
> machine, running Windows 2000 Professional. Running NCU 1.0, after a=
> couple seconds, the connection suddenly closes itself with a=
> "Disconnecting" message on the progress window. (The same happened with=
> NBU but I haven't tried it with slowdown yet. And Newton Package=
> Installer just...doesn't work.) The Newton then appears to perform a=
> partial reboot (at least, Avi's Backdrop acts as if it has been reloaded)=
> and my Newton tells me that my PC disconnected. On my computer's screen,=
> a "communications error" appears, "-1". I hear tell that this can be=
> fixed with slowdown, so I downloaded slowdown from UNNA and ran it,=
> setting both sliders to "slow". No luck, and no apparent change in the=
> backup's progress. I am also running an edited registry and the "Serial=
> 57600" package to connect at 57600 bps.
>
> Am I doomed to backing up to PCMCIA cards simply because of my=
> overwhelmingly fast computer (roll of eyes)? Or is there something I'm=
> doing wrong? Will the Blackhawks ever win the Stanley Cup? Will Batman=
> and Robin escape the Penguin's maze of death??
SNIP