[NTLK] eMate does not power up

From: Anton Balaban (balaban_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 09:13:51 EDT

Hello, list

Today I got an eMate, but it does not turn on. I tried two different power adaptors, but no sign of life comes from the eMate. Unfortunately both adapters are not original Apple Newton adapters, but one happily powers my uMP2000, and the other is from Apple, 7.5v 2A, the plug seems correct and the measured voltage is 7.8v. I'm sure that current gets to the eMate because I can measure it at the power terminals at the bottom of the unit. I tried power button, reset button, initiating the hard reset but nothing happens. The person who sold me the eMate told me that it wasn't powered up for about six months. What else can I do with it to revive the thing? I really do not want to return eMate to the seller, because I got it for a steal price, and I doubt that I'll be able to find other eMate for sale here in Russia (for any price) any time soon.

Hoping for your help

Anton Balaban