Re: [NTLK] Post IRDA transfer, 2100 acting strange

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 02:01:18 EST

on 02/11/02 01:16, Jeff Abbott at jabbott_at_ninewire.net wrote:

> Hi folks:
>
> I tried to find an answer to this DIL question on the archive, without
> success. Any guidance is appreciated as I am not a Newton sophisticate.
>
> Got a MP2100 earlier this year but never got around to adding new packages
> since I didn't have the right cables. Finally tried Newton DIL to connect to
> my Pismo via IRDA and install some packages from a CD that came when I
> bought my Newton on eBay. Wow, works beautifully, it's so cool. I install
> the Newton Tour, NetHopper, and NewtonWorks. I then try to install NIE 2,
> not realizing that I already have it installed on internal memory. Get a
> message that NIE didn't install on the card because it was already in
> internal. There's an NIE icon on the screen, with a giant X above the NIE
> caption (the NIE that was already installed is still there.)
>
> I tap on Dock to end the IRDA connection and that's when things got weird.
> Basically, the screen on my Newton is not responding to taps--rather, it is
> simply marking dots/lines (like I was in Notes or a drawing program). The
> Dock slip basically blanked out and would not dismiss. Trying to close it or
> to open another icon simply results in more scribbles on the screen. It's
> not locked...if I move the stylus across the screen a new line results. But
> that's it. Ejecting the card makes no difference.
>
> I no longer have a Newton, I have an Etch-a-Sketch. Have I destroyed my
> Newton, just as I get it set to accept new packages?

Huh, did you try to do a soft reset? If not, I'm afraid you will have to do
a hard reset, but I don't think you did damage anything permanently...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>

firebottle n.obs.: A large, primitive, power-hungry active electrical device, similar in function to a FET but constructed out of glass, metal, and vacuum. Characterized by high cost, low density, low reliability, high-temperature operation, and high power dissipation. Sometimes mistakenly called a `tube' in the U.S. or a `valve' in England; another hackish term is glassfet.