Re: [NTLK] Importing RTF file to NewtonWorks

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 02:19:20 EST

on 2002/11/01 2:03 AM, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_usa.net wrote:

> on 11/1/02 6:11 AM, Michael Blazer at m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca wrote:
>
>> The basic problem is now cured. I ran the NCU installer, and reinstalled
>> ONLY the "Intellilink" folder within the NCU folder. The fresh installation
>> did not add any files that weren't there before, but I guess something must
>> have been corrupted.
>
> Argh. I forgot about this... What happened was that your Xtnd translator
> list became corrupted, or outdated. You didn't need to do a complete
> reinstall. All you had to do was open your preferences folder (inside the
> System folder) and find the file named "XTND Translator List" and drop it in
> the trash, and then restart NCU. It would have rebuilt the XTND list, and
> you would have been good to go. This used to be common knowledge several
> years ago, but now that XTND has gone the way of the last century, Classic
> Mac, serial, et al, we seem to be forgetting about it. (plus the fact that
> NCU seems to be able to read text files without a translator confusing me)
> It wasn't until you said what you said about the corrupt file that I
> remembered. Sorry for coming late to this party...

Hmmm... maybe that's what I unwittingly did. I ran the NCU custom install
option that said something like "translators only" and I had thought that
all it installed was the Intellilink folder ('cause that's all I saw in the
new NCU folder that it created), but perhaps it also reinstalled the XTND
Translator List file.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html