Re: [NTLK] Newbie Convert from the Past.

From: Charles Isaac (newton_at_aslannet.org)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 00:23:00 EST

On Saturday, November 2, 2002, at 10:59 PM, Chris Edwards wrote:

> OK, here goes...
>
> I used to be a Newton MP100 user. Then a MP120, then 130, then Palm
> 5000, Palm Pro, Visor Deluxe, Visor Edge now I have sold the Edge and
> am back to paper. But I have started a collection of Newtons. So far I
> have the MP100, 120 (1.3 OS), 120 (2.0 OS), 130 and 2000 all in the
> boxes complete (If anyone has a 110 in the box complete let me know).

I am similar finally coming back to a 2100. I am soooo happy. My
daughter is now using an old 120 and my son wants a Newton now.

First thing to do is check www.thisoldnewt.com and the Newtontalk
archives and www.unna.org and the faq at the tag line. These will go
along way.

> I want to start using either the 130 or 2000 to see how it fares these
> days. I have played with the 130 and the HWR is pretty good actually. I
> also want to sync to iCal, my address book, etc. on 10.2 and install
> software on the Newton.. How can I do this? Is there anyway to do this
> currently? I have seen mention of NewTen and another program. Do these
> run native in OX 10?

sync with iCal and address book is coming and is here by using NewtSync
or nSync, whatever it is being called. But it works with the addy book.
http://www.everchanging.com/newton/

NewTen is an installer that runs native in X. But just an installer

Kudos to John for his work

> Last question, can someone point me in the direction of a great
> software library and how do I install. Is there a NCK that works Native
> in 10.2 or do I have to use Classic? If I use Classic do I need any
> extensions? I have a USB to Serial adaptor (Keyspan). Is there another
> way?
NCK works in classic mode :(
It will work with the keyspan and is needed unless you do Appletalk. I
use the keyspan and it works great.

If I could program I would write NCK for X. Alas I cannot program and I
do not have the time to learn. Those darn Master degrees keep me going.

Charles

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html