[NTLK] HWR problem : Newt hangs !!

From: Felix (felix_at_freire.be)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 04:10:45 EST

Hello List !

 I suffer an annoying problem (bug ?) with the Dates/Names application :

When I write a word (Cursive mode) that Newton has problems recognizing (or
doesn't recognize at all), the (blinking) star comes on the screen and the
newt just hangs !
My only option is to reset the newt (sometimes it will just reset itself)
and restart my input with the keyboard.

In the newton manual (p30) it is written :
"If you select cursive as your handwriting style, words you write that are
not in the MessagePad's dictionary are placed in the Recently Written Words
lists.When there are many words in the list, a blinking star may appear at
the top of the screen each time you write another word that's not in the
dictionary."

Checking the RWW lists, doesn't appear to be this full 3 to 5 words max.
This also happens with printing mode.

Could this be caused by some recently installed package :
- ATA but that's the most unlikely
- Dashboard
- Avi's backdrop
- Alt rec
- Corrector+

Basically, I find my newt to be very slow (Internal Free memory is 846K and
I am using a 16Mb CF).

Should I go through a hard reset and perform a 'clean install' ?
Thanks,
Felix

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html