Re: [NTLK] Proof Jobs isn't an idiot (was: Proof Jobs is an idiot)

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 01:35:23 EST

Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Then...that's sad...it really is...to see these
> supposedly "intelligent" people having these kinds of
> problems...especially that one with the self-titled
> (what did he call himself? CTO/CIO?)

So if you're an average Joe (or JoeEllen) and you have problems with
your Windows machine, you're should be forced to use a Mac, becuase
you're an idiot ...?

Okay.

So here's a scenario that happened to me a few months ago.

While working for the TV department in my local mayor's office, in an
all Win2k environment, I was exchanged for another guy in the
Transportation department (an all XP environment).

While I was using this other fellow's login, everything was fine: my
HTML editor worked (hey -- they made me use it), all the other
applications I needed worked, etc.

Fast forward a couple weeks. My borrowed login expired, so I called
my IT guy (from the TV department) to give me another.

As I mentioned, the TV department was all Win2K .. and he was working
outside his department to set me up on this machine. This means he had
to call the Transportation IT guy to type in the admin password to get
started.

He finished in about half an hour. I logged in with the new password,
and got to work.

Eventually (not long at all, actually), I noticed my HTML editor was
behaving erratically. Eventually it froze all together.

I gave it the time honored three finger salute, and attempted to log
in again.

Didn't work.

Several tries, still no joy.

Called my IT guy. He explained that the Transportation department was
all XP, and the TV department was all Win2K, and there were
significant differences, blah blah blah, etc., etc., etc.

Bottom line: he couldn't fix it.

Called in the Transportation department's IT guy: also no joy.

They worked at it for an hour or so, then had to go work on
other Windows-induced problems for other clients.

So here you have two trained IT ninjas, who can't restore a simple
password.

Now, if the departments were using Macs ... naw, too easy.

> People are on the majority of stupidity then, and this
> is just more proof.

Heh.

> Like the saying goes...if you think that you, yourself
> has "average" intelligence, then by definition, half
> the world is dumber than you are...
> In this case, I think the scale tips closer to the
> "dumb and dumber" side instead of being level with a
> 50/50...

You get all kinds when you're doing tech support ... at one point, I
was doing tech support for Adobe PageMaker 6.0/6.5, and the tech next
to me (a fine Windows tech, a lousy Mac tech) was happily recommending
to his customer that she put all of her Preferences in the trash!

If you're not Mac-savvy, this would put the customer in a no boot
situation.

What the tech MEANT to tell her was to trash the Adobe PageMaker
preferences.

> Hey Jerry Springer! Here's more trailer-trash for your
> show! Just pick up the Apple "switched"
> people...they're not ashamed to tell the world they're
> idiots!

You don't still watch that show, do you? My morbid curiosity gave out
years ago. I'm surprised it's still on the air!

--gdw

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html