Re: [NTLK] Jaggies send me to 130 land

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_jameswhale.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 11:35:29 EST

> Well, the Jaggies on my 2100 have gotten so horrible, and I can't fix
> them, that I'm back to useing my 130 as the Newt I carry on my hip.

I feel your pain. I have 3 Newts -- 2 of them have jaggies to some
degree, and 1 is perfect. However, the perfect one is also the original
2100 I bought in 1997 and it is very worn down (case and backlight).

What's interesting is that this 2100 (the original one with the perfect
touchscreen) has been to Apple for repair. I had a screen problem (not
jaggies) and sent it to Apple (paid the $190) and they replaced the
touchscreen. Since then, it has performed perfectly with not a single
jag.

Unlike some others on this list, I have never been so lucky as to be
able to cure jaggies on my two inflicted Newts. I have tried ooW's
method of brainwiping -- no luck for me. I have tried Laurent's method
of cleaning the ribbon cable that connects the touchscreen to the
motherboard -- no luck.

I am on the verge of sending one of my pristine Newts to Apple repair,
if they still do it, and having them replace the touchscreen. $190
ain't cheap, but it might be worth the peace of mind of having a
perfect Newton again and not ever worrying about the cursed jaggies
again.

The other alternative I am considering is ordering one of the
backlight/touchscreen replacements. That will come close in dollar cost
to Apple repair (after paying someone to install it for me). The
advantage is I'll also get a cool new white backlight. The drawback is
I don't know if it will cure the jaggies or not.

I'm still deciding what to do next... What a pain this is!

-
Jeremy Bond SHEPHERD - jbond_at_jameswhale.com
San Francisco, CA - AIM: jeremybondsf

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html