Re: [NTLK] Unsubscribing

From: Scott Clitheroe (scott_at_clitheroe.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 21:04:15 EST

> 1. The Newton is not very reliable if the amount of problems listed in
here
> (and elsewhere) is used as a sample group. I've never seen a machine with
> so many hardware related failures. Nobody should have to "buy two" in case
> one fails. While I understand it is relatively archaic as far as hardware
> is concerned, even my old console systems from the early 80's still
operate
> flawlessly.

This seems like an unfair comment, IMHO. I'm a relative newbie, but I fully
realize that I am dealing with hardware (in my case, a 120), that is getting
pretty old, particularly for a handheld machine that is constantly getting
moved around. The Newts don't seem any more fragile that any other
handheld. I'd be interested to see what today's IPAQ looks like in five
years. Besides likely having a completely shot integrated battery pack, I
bet you'll start to see the same sorts of reliability problems as are being
reported here. I know of people at work that are already on their second or
even third PalmPilot because of spontaneous touch screen problems,
particularly around the grafitti recognizer areas.

In the computer industry, particulary in the portable segment of the market,
any machine surviving five years of daily use is doing pretty well.

-Scott

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html