Re: [NTLK] OT: PalmOS-based AlphaSmart Dana

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Nov 30 2002 - 10:19:36 EST

on 11/29/02 8:38 PM, James Elliott at james.elliott_at_newted.org wrote:

> How are they similar to Newton keyboards? I was just thinking
> yesterday that they aren't ADB.

I was referring the the mechanical aspect of the keyboards..
Actually, I must retract my statement. Right after I sent it, I remembered
that when I last took my Newton keyboard apart (I had made the cable
retractable, and decided I didn't like that feature), that I checked the
mechanics, and they are not similar mechanically like I thought. To confirm
it, after sending the email, I took my Newton keyboard apart, and
double-checked, and I was indeed wrong. The only similarity is in the key
layout and size. Actually, they may be similar, in that they use two plastic
sheets with tracings on them, and that depressing the key closes circuits to
send to the device, but I haven't taken the Newton keyboard apart far enough
to confirm that. I do notice two different ribbons coming from the keyboard,
but I haven't taken the sandwich apart to know how similar the keyboard is
to the Duo keyboard. There are physical similarities, but I think the
differences are significant enough for me to say that they aren't enough
alike to say that they are similar. Sorry.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland